Bonne Nouvelle

Your search results

Discover the Bonne Nouvelle district - Paris 02

Bonne-Nouvelle neighbourhood is the 8th administrative district of Paris. Located at the east of the 2nd district, it is surrounded by Mail neighbourhood, 10th, 3rd and 1st neighbourhoods.

Covering an area of 28 hectares, its border begins to the west with part of Rue Poissonnière, Rue des Petits-Carreaux and Rue Montorgueil. Its northern border is bounded by Boulevard Saint-Denis and Boulevard de Bonne-Nouvelle. To the east, the Boulevard de Sébastopol closes this neighbourhood. As for the south, it is bounded by Rue Etienne Marcel.



The neighbourhood’s history goes back to the 19th century. Its name comes from “Butte de Bonne Nouvelle” (Bonne Nouvelle Hilltop), but also from Notre-Dame-de-Bonne-Nouvelle Church situated at its summit. History tells us that the hilltop was in fact a pile of rubbish that had formed over time. It is estimated that this heap began in the 10th century. Based on excavations carried out in 1824, the stratifications were up to 16 metres high.

Since then, much work was carried out to clean up the area and facilitate the passage of vehicles. However, as a whole, what gave the name to the district was the cleaning up of the Cour des Miracles (Miracles Court) in the 17th century, which previously housed mobsters and outlaws of all kinds. There are many legends about the fact that blinds regained their sight and deafs began to hear again. However, inhabitants who lived near this notorious place were exasperated. Therefore, after the police lieutenant, Nicolas de la Reynie, announced its cleaning, it was good news for them.

Which one gave its name to this neighbourhood, the church or this story? Probably both.


Cultural sites

  • Notre-Dame de Bonne-Nouvelle Church: the legend of this church’s name dates back to the 17th century. In 1628, Queen Anne of Austria, the wife of King Louis XIII, laid the foundation stone praying fervently to be pregnant. Indeed, Queen Anne of Austria was sterile. Years later, Louis XIV was born. Poorly maintained, this church was nearly torn down in 1793. However, parishioners managed to leave it as it was. Then, the city bought it back in 1803 and rebuilt it.
  • Tour de Jean sans Peur (Jean sans Peur tower): this tower took its name form Burgundy Duke, Jean sans Peur, who locked himself in it after assassinating the king’s brother, Louis of Orleans, in 1407. Since this event provoked civil war between Burgundians and Armagnacs, he feared Armagnac revenge. He therefore constructed this 23-metre tower, reputed to be impregnable and built two safety rooms in it, including his residence, which was heavily guarded and was surmounted by machicolation.


Local landmarks

Among the neighbourhood’s local landmarks, there are interesting passages and streets such as:


  • Cour du roi François: a Court of Miracles;
  • Passages of Bourg-l’Abbé, Grand Cerf, Ponceau and Sainte-Foy;
  • But also the Place du Caire and its Egyptian motifs.



  • Square Jacques-Bidaut: it is located at 18, Rue de la Lune in Paris, 2nd arrondissement. It is accessible by metro lines 8 and 9 (Bonne Nouvelle) and bus line 32 (Poissonnière-Bonne Nouvelle).



  • Beauregard Primary School: 5, Rue Beauregard, 75002 Paris. Access via metro line 3 (Sentier) and bus line 32 (Poissonnière-Bonne Nouvelle).
  • Etienne Marcel School: 20, Rue Etienne Marcel, 75002 Paris. Access via metro lines 1, 4, 7, 11, 14 (Châtelet), 3 (Sentier), RER A (Châtelet-Les Halles) and bus line 29 (Turbigo-Etienne Marcel).
  • Saint-Denis Nursery School: 221, Rue Saint-Denis, 75002 Paris. Access via metro line 3 (Réaumur-Sébastopol) and bus line 20 (Réaumur-Sébastopol).


Nearby transportation


    RER - Ligne A

Bus    Bus - Ligne 20  Bus - Ligne 29  Bus - Ligne 32

Properties for sale / rental in the neighbourhood

Our properties for sale or rental in the neighbourhood.

Compare Listings